Monday, January 30, 2023

Holding Pattern

The MRI scan results from last week weren't completely in, just partly in. So we don't have all the answers, we have some. 

Plus we realised we never asked what the objective of all of this was when the journey started all those months ago. My little brain of storytelling felt that we'd be told the tumour had shrunk when they compared it post-operation to now because that felt like the obvious conclusion. We found out today that the tumour is still the same size as post-op, hospital are happy with this as it hasn't grown and my side effects are the ones I keep going on about on here. 

So I'm meant to feel happy knowing things haven't got worse. Oh, and to add to that, what we called my chemo rash might be an antibiotic rash actually - it wasn't tested when I was having all the blood tests of the last few weeks so things are vague there. Though I won't be having antibiotics this time so if I come out in a rash then we know it's chemo related. 

So I'm feeling a bit in limbo, stuck in a holding pattern. Waiting for things to start moving again. I had a blood test this morning and my platelet levels are still low - too low to start chemo right now. I'm that aeroplane trying to land but being told to wait a bit longer until it really is time to start the next part of the process. I'm not frustrated by this - I felt like it might happen, that there'd be a delay. So I'm back next week having another blood test to see if I'm able to start the treatment or not. 

I'm looking into extra ways to increase my platelet count. One way is folic acid though you have to be careful not to have too much as it can interfere with B12 levels. Seeing as I'm enjoying a lot of Nooch at the mo, I'd like to think my B12 levels are doing okay, though I do feel I should have more. 

ANYWAY I have good news (this sounds like I don't think the brain tumour news is good news, I'm still processing it, okay?). I am being weaned off the steroids. It's a slow four week process which may or may not work, the only thing I could say was "I'm celebrating with a WHOLE PIZZA" which probably sounds like I'm not taking this entirely seriously (I really am), I just miss pizza. So that's good news - hopefully. I'm not banking everything on this as things have a habit of going wonky, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and that'll be that. 

I've also been promised I'll get a copy of my head scans on a disc. I joked "amazing! That'll be a fun movie night" because that's how I'm still dealing with this, humour. Got to keep it going for the sake of my sanity even though I feel a bit shellshocked with it all. Time to reflect a bit probably. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sore Neck

Oof, it hurts. Trying to sit up without hurting my core. My upper shoulder is in pain but behaving.  It's not agonising pain but it'...