Monday, January 9, 2023

Chemo Evilness

I guess this journey into the unknown was due to bring up all kinds of oddities along the way as the toxic medicine makes its way out of my system, leaving behind little things to make sure I don't forget it. 

Because, ultimately, if you've never had chemo before, you don't know what to expect as you stop taking it. There are lists, long long lists. "You might have this happen" "You're less likely to have this happen, but you might" and so on. 

So let's do a new list. I have completed Phase 2 of this treatment (Phase 1 being my original craniotomy, Phase 2 being the steroids/chemo/radiotherapy for six weeks). Phase 3 is on the horizon but only once my body has recovered from Phase 2. So let's go into my Phase 2 side effects.

Hairloss. Predominantly around the area the craniotomy/tumour is, though I've noticed some from my hair overall. I used to have lovely thick hair, now I'm rocking a seventies prog look and am being indecisive. Not too worried about this one as it should grow back. Hats are my friend! 

Mouth Ulcers. A new one to the list. I developed the most evil of ulcers in my mouth, fortunately was prescribed a good mouthwash and a week later they've pretty much disappeared. This feels like a chemo side effect so I'm ready if more appear during Phase 3. Which they probably will. The worst two things about this was not being able to eat properly, and not being able to say my name properly when checking in at the hospital. Annoyances!

Blood in my mouth. Another new one - possibly related to the previous one, it has only happened once, possibly from me giving my mouth a good clean maybe? One to keep an eye on anyway.

Itchiness/electric shock feeling. Still going. Sometimes it likes to keep me awake most of the night, sometimes it gives me a night or two off. Definitely chemo related. Poison, be gone! (and please take away some tumour at the same time if that's not too much to ask, ok?). I've had MooGoo products approved to use on my skin so they're slowly arriving and making me feel happier. Feeling happier is a good thing and so much of the fight with this. 

Tiredness/napping. This cranked up a gear when Chemo stopped. Maybe Radiotherapy makes you tired, I think it does. Anyway, proper daytime naps are happening at the moment, usually for an hour or so. I'm not used to it, but I need it. 

The rash. Related to the itchiness/electric shock feeling, my skin is covered in hives (apart from my face) and they disappear at bathtime, reappearing further into the night as I'm trying to sleep. My only happy thing to say about this is I'm not leaving the house at the moment so if I need to sleep, I sleep. If I need to itch I slap a load of cream on my skin so I don't. If I get the electric shock feeling then ditto. A chemo side effect almost definitely. Willing to put money on it - 5p, mind. 

Here's a new one. My fingers do the typing, though sometimes they type something completely different to what I think I should type. I feel like it's something learning a new pathway, I can still type normally and quickly, it's just a weird one to keep an eye on. It's like forgetting words and that being a lot better, it's just a different part of the body. 

ANYWAY. That'll do for now. I do not feel sorry for myself in any way, I am getting on with things, but listening to my body. I have my Radiotherapy mask which I will take a photo of at some point because when you complete your treatment you're given it at the end. Daughter is horrified I am thinking about making it into a plant pot, whereas the Radiographers requested I send them a photo when it's done....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sore Neck

Oof, it hurts. Trying to sit up without hurting my core. My upper shoulder is in pain but behaving.  It's not agonising pain but it'...