Thursday, May 11, 2023

Diabetes

I had my phone call with the diabetic doctor today. It was an interesting call - mainly as I got a lot of answers to questions I hadn't thought about properly up to now, or had only rambled on about here. 

In summary, I can lower my insulin further as I'm managing with the decrease fine. However, my doc wants me to do a blood sugar test an hour or two after food - which should say whether I'm diabetic or not. I couldn't work out why, and mentioned how my consultant had said I probably am diabetic now as I'm not reacting while I'm still taking insulin. It didn't make sense to me, so I asked the doc what she might have meant. 

So... the insulin I have is a slow one which releases the insulin over a 24 hour period. (I didn't know this but it makes sense) because it's a slow release injection there's very little chance of me ever having a hypo. If I was using the fast insulin then it's more likely, but I've only ever used it 2 or 3 times in the last almost seven months. 

Doc suggested that I do one test a day after food which will give me more of an idea if I'm diabetic or not - if it's over 7 I have diabetes. If it's under 7 then I don't.** So I did that after lunch today (a cheese toastie and a pack of healthy crisps), and my reading came in - 6.7! So that's great, and is making me feel positive. 

Anyway, we both decided* that my diabetes check should happen when the radiotherapy session finishes. 



* Okay, it was just the doc. 

** two days later, two under 7 results, it's looking promising....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sore Neck

Oof, it hurts. Trying to sit up without hurting my core. My upper shoulder is in pain but behaving.  It's not agonising pain but it'...