Tuesday, January 24, 2023

MRI aye aye

This morning was my follow up MRI where they'll compare the before and after scans. I'm not sure when 'before' actually is, I'm guessing after my craniotomy though. I mean, I would have thought an MRI before then would be a bit pointless. But I don't actually know because it's a question I didn't ask. 

For the first time I was offered music. "Something indie please!" I requested, and had a pleasant acoustic guitar folky set of songs which was a good distraction.

MRI scans take longer - husband was in the waiting room for around 45 minutes while everything was done, though I was also fitted with a cannula for them to inject some dye for the comparison - that was the second part of the scan. 

You also get to wear earplugs and headphones with an MRI scan - which wasn't helpful when the MRI lady was asking me questions as I couldn't hear her. So I repeated what I thought she had said and did a thumbs up which seemed to be okay. 

The music goes into the headphones, though the MRI noise is one you can't get rid of easily - but I'm not complaining. I could hear the music which was enough. 

So this MRI will be what defines the next part of my treatment. Fortunately I'm patient so I can wait until the appointment next week when we'll have answers - instead I'm keeping myself occupied with questions to ask. Unfortunately these are things like "Can I drink alcohol?" (I don't want to) and "When can I get a tattoo?" (probably not any time soon because of infection). 

They injected a dye into me - fortunately I don't have to keep away from sunlight for 24 hours like when I had the op. That was a bit annoying as I hadn't thought the logic through (fair enough, I had/have a brain tumour) - so spent most of the time in the dark because I wasn't thinking logically. 

Anyway, we're edging into phase 3 which will be one of the interesting parts, mainly as it looks like I'm on the same chemo I reacted to. Here's my arm so you get the idea.... 

chemo rash, chemo rash on arm,

Chemo rash arm. I had this rash all over my body except my face. Each little spot had an electric shock feeling, pricking my body in different areas at different times, playing its own little game of whack-a-mole on my body. Some nights I'd get to sleep by 5am because of this. Some nights I'd have no additional feelings and I'd get a ten hour sleep in which my body and self desperately needed. 

I was prescribed antihistamines to help with the rash which worked - I'm now taking less of them, keeping my overnight one (as they're drowsy, so helping me sleep is a good thing). It took a while though, and has helped me understand why Phase 3 is one week on, three weeks to recover. I will cry if I get the electric shock feeling again though, if my lack of emotions makes me able to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sore Neck

Oof, it hurts. Trying to sit up without hurting my core. My upper shoulder is in pain but behaving.  It's not agonising pain but it'...